Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comments On "Harnessing The 'paranormal Community'"
Comments On "Harnessing The 'paranormal Community'" is my "letter to the editor" to EdgeScience, a publication of the Society for Scientific Exploration.

The society did not respond to the letter in any way, so I decided to post it here as a blog. In the past, the EdgeScience editor has used one of my letters and rejected one article saying it was too much inside baseball."

The Journal of Scientific Exploration published by the SSE has consistently published "Failure To Replicate" kinds of articles. See Critiquing ITC Articles written by Imants Baruss. The Journal allowed my letter to the editor for the first of Baruss' articles, but refused comments on the second. I have not attempted to comment on articles since, including the negative Windbridge report ATransC paid for.

This is a reminder that parapsychological publications are not often friendly toward transcommunication, and I feel, toward people who hold a doctorate degree.

I would be interested in your thoughts and possible alternative ways of dealing with organizations which are managed by doctorates. (The last time I checked, the SSE, PA and SPR have only doctorates on their management, editorial and consulting staff. As for "peer review," they have no one we are aware of knowledgeable about or friendly toward ITC.)
Tom Butler
Co-director ATransC
I really like your article, Tom.  I could actually feel the emotions welling up inside me as I read.  From my perspective (a practitioner who would be ever so grateful for the gap to be bridged) it is frustrating and disheartening to live between the extremes.  I find that the majority of what I share, be it ITC image or EVP is either blindly accepted as genuine phenomena (as is even the most questionable material when shared in many like-minded groups, much of which leaves me shaking my head at the lack of critical thinking) or immediately dismissed by the cynics who don't believe such a thing is possible.  

I would be absolutely thrilled to be able to work with an open-minded scientist as part of a research team.  I have absolutely no idea how one might deal with organization who are already so biased against exploring the phenomena with a true curiosity that would allow for learning.  I suspect those who do have a genuine interest are reluctant to let that be known for fear of the professional ramification is may have due to negative reactions among their peers.  Guessing there is not too many ready to willing jump from the proverbial frying pan into the fire.  

However, I have long held a vision - and continue to do so - of a unification between the two camps (practitioners and academics).  I am so very thankful for all that you, Lisa, and ATransC continues to do to bridge the gap.  

I think I will mention it in FaceBook to see if I get a reaction.

And speaking of FaceBook, I am trying a widget from FaceBook on the website. It is a tool for people to recommend the site to friends. I have it on the front page, http://atransc.org/research/transform_evp_study.htm and http://atransc.org/theory/survival_hypothesis.htm I see it has already been used.

I am not fond of FaceBook but it does have potential for increasing exposure.

By the way, we are averaging around 700 to 1000 visitors a day but September 1 we had 7865 and September 2 we had 3549 visitors. Do you have any idea what was going on?

Also we had August 29: 722, August 30: 4437 and August 31: 10953

Tom Butler
Co-director ATransC
Wow, that is great about the exposure!  I don't know what is going on.  I wonder if it has anything to do with Kai "tagging" you in some of his posts.  I don't know if people who aren't your friends can see the link to ATransC from yours or Lisa's page?  Also, I just noticed, Lisa's pages says "Former co-director of....." Not sure if that was on purpose or if she meant to select it as being current.  

I just looked on Kai's page and he tagged both you and Lisa in a post on August 29th (and Sep 5th).  It's a longer post talking about his trip then he writes:

"The biggest thing for us though during our time here were in the first place the people having us! 

One soul more beautiful than the other: Neal Rzepkowski, Janet Caywood, Tom Butler, Lisa Butler, Howie Abraham, Christine Bohan Sachs - we owe you a lot! "

PS - I disable the live links here.  

I will get Lisa to change the "Co-" She can't get out of it that easily. :o

Tom Butler
Co-director ATransC
Tongue  Big Grin  :lol: 

Tom, I enjoyed reading your article!  I think it would be a wonderful thing to learn, instead of battling each other!

Rhonda,

I would be interested in knowing your thoughts about the classification system we are proposing. You can see it at <a class="bbc_url" href='http://atransc.org/bp/Classification' title="">http://atransc.org/bp/Classification</a>.

Tom Butler
Co-director ATransC
Hi Tom,

Got through my Arkansas Paranormal Expo this past weekend and raised money for MacArthur Museum! Wears me out, but I love it!

I really had to read several times to wrap my mind around what you were saying, glad the examples were there. Also, have
been out of the loop awhile, so it took me longer. I think the system is a great one, to actually have EVP/ITC classification,
will make it easier to identify. It would be interesting to see what happens in a forum with examples, to see how everyone classifies.

I do admire all of your hard work!
Good! Thanks for taking a look.

Tom Butler
Co-director ATransC
Tom, unfortunately the reaction of parapsychological magazines to trans communications topics is not unusual. Especially given their control by doctorate types. It happens in almost even established field of study that considers itself the true source of knowledge and those competing fields struggling to be heard. The doctorate or similar types have many tools at their disposal to essentially destroy or at least mitigate any new information that might endanger their current established view of what is true in this world or any other. For example, if they allow you to post an article in their magazine, unless they make a strong effort to support it (unlikely) they will just sit back and let the extremists among their supporters perform all the tasks of trashing the article (facts not necessary in this process) and then will refuse further articles from you citing the negative backlash the first article received (and they essentially encouraged or at least allowed to happen). I think you have to just ignore them and not bang your head against the wall seeking their approval or the approval and/or support of their base. You are doing it right here by trying to slowly build up..one person at a time...believers and supporters of trans communication. We think that social media is a help with this. And it is...but also a curse. It allows in at times the same malevolent forces seeking to destroy the message. Content control is the answer for this....the same tool used against you by the parapsychological magazines.

(09-06-2013, 09:55 AM)Tom Butler Wrote:  Comments On "Harnessing The 'paranormal Community'" is my "letter to the editor" to EdgeScience, a publication of the Society for Scientific Exploration.

The society did not respond to the letter in any way, so I decided to post it here as a blog. In the past, the EdgeScience editor has used one of my letters and rejected one article saying it was too much inside baseball."

The Journal of Scientific Exploration published by the SSE has consistently published "Failure To Replicate" kinds of articles. See Critiquing ITC Articles written by Imants Baruss. The Journal allowed my letter to the editor for the first of Baruss' articles, but refused comments on the second. I have not attempted to comment on articles since, including the negative Windbridge report ATransC paid for.

This is a reminder that parapsychological publications are not often friendly toward transcommunication, and I feel, toward people who hold a doctorate degree.

I would be interested in your thoughts and possible alternative ways of dealing with organizations which are managed by doctorates. (The last time I checked, the SSE, PA and SPR have only doctorates on their management, editorial and consulting staff. As for "peer review," they have no one we are aware of knowledgeable about or friendly toward ITC.)
I agree with you. I had not thought about the letters to the editor-like push-back from the conservative base of magazines. That is what happened with a Rupert Sheldrake video. SEE: https://weilerpsiblog.wordpress.com/the-big-ted-controversy-of-2013-part-1/ That was not a magazine, but unlike most magazines, Ted is set up to allow a lot of online discussion.

The way our survival part of the paranormalist community is most harmed, I think, is by our people thinking parapsychologists are speaking for us. So when we read something like an article by the respected parapsychologist and chief editor of a "scientific" journal saying someone resorted to fraud, we are prone to believe them, even though the accusation is only hearsay. See: http://ethericstudies.org/essays/the-felix-study-personal-attack-under-cover-of-science/

I also talked about this a little at: http://theothersidepress.com/opinion-setters-what-to-believe-1528

So in effect, the journals are taking up space. If they were not there, other, more balanced journals would have better support.

Tom
Tom Butler
Co-director ATransC