proposed by Tom Butler
This is a requirements specification for a computer/smartphone app that will function as an Electronic Voice Phenomena (EVP) recording system and a node of a consciousness array.
There are no plans at this time to issue a request for proposal; however, developers are invited to participate in development of these requirements. The resulting design specification is to be released under the Creative Commons License (cc). A research-ready version is required, as is a commercial version.
Please use the contact tool if you wish to participate in this discussion.
A standardized platform for the collection of EVP that uses only speech synthesis, and that does not depend on the modification of audio-frequency energy for voice formation, would provide researchers with a controllable, easily replicated tool for the analysis of the processes involved with EVP formation.
Voice formation in EVP has been demonstrated in three basic technologies: transform EVP is formed by modifying audio-frequency energy to simulate human voice; opportunistic EVP if formed by the selection of “just in time” bits of sound–primarily human speech–to form a new sound stream; and, environmentally stimulated EVP is formed by using detected changes in the energy of the environment to operate a speech synthesis process to form voice. Speech synthesis may be used in lieu of “live” voice in opportunistic EVP.
The basic objective of this set of requirements is to provide a highly portable computer and computer program which is self-contained and includes the functions listed in Functional requirements, below.
Environmentally stimulated EVP is a relatively unexplored form of EVP. EVPmaker has been around since 2000, but has always depended on prerecorded live speech. The use of speech synthesis in lieu of live speech is also very new. While much is known about transform EVP, environmentally stimulated EVP is relatively unknown. Excellent examples recorded by Margaret Downey of both EVPmaker using speech synthesis (an allophone file) and the operation of the Paranormal Puck.
There have been other examples of the effectiveness of this technology that are sufficiently convincing to show that Downey’s work can be replicated so some extent by others. Important features of transform EVP that makes it more personable for contact with loved ones are lost with speech synthesis, but the ability to eliminate many of the factors that cast doubt on the nature of EVP makes the use of speech synthesis a mandatory requirement for this project.
- It would be based on a computer/smartphone app.
- There would be a speech synthesis program along the lines of the Lingvosoft This is an in-computer replacement for SpeakJet.
- A program like EVPmaker that functions as a shell for the platform and provides an operator interface.
- An audio management program, probably Audacity since it is free and can be modified, to capture, store, and if necessary, process the output of the shell. This should capture the operator’s voice on one channel and the output of the synthesizer on a second channel while sending the output of the synthesizer to a speaker. Both channels should be stored as individual sessions.
- For research, an interface/movement logger should be available and counts as part of the base platform.
- The whole package should be affordable for casual investigation.
- Be able to be operated by one person walking around in a dark building.
Possible Further Options
- Voice recognition and storage in a separate file.
- Use of environmental detection devices to augment the random process.
- Such extras as camera and environmental microphone.
- Support of the Computer array consciousness study.
- Personality modules designed by operator for personal flexibility.
The platform should be designed in a way that it is clear that no external radio signals are being used, and that no prerecorded EVP are in the output.